- Who we are: The Onyx Group, a consulting firm offering real property design and planning solutions for our federal clients. From our principals to our on-site teams, we have the people, knowledge and unyielding commitment necessary to improve our clients’ real property functional and operational value.
We currently have a great opportunity for a Building Engineer. Our practice includes conducting building condition surveys for the Department of Defense Sustainment Management System. We are seeking an experienced Building Engineer to be a critical part of our survey and assessment team.
- Who You Are: You’re a dependable, self-starter with experience in building and property maintenance. You quickly identify issues and recommend corrective measures to ensure quality and safety. You have a strong work ethic and bring a positive, customer-centric approach to your work, whether it’s responding to an emergency request, working with tight schedules, or ensuring an accurate quality product delivered to the client.
- Position Summary:
- Conduct and assist with inspections and surveys, including energy audits and analysis, roofs and interiors, HVAC, electrical, and plumbing systems, environmental and ADA compliance.
- Working under moderate supervision, utilizes knowledge of several trade skills such as carpentry, plumbing, electrical, painting, roofing, heating and cooling to determine, by visual survey and maintenance records, the current building systems conditions.
- Assist in budgets, operating cost estimates and comparisons, life safety programs and procedures, domestic water quality control and enforcement of EPA and OSHA compliance.
- Review for compliance with applicable codes, regulations, government agencies and directives related to building operations.
- Candidate’s work hours must be flexible, ability to travel to worksites, and willing to participate in a team environment.
Education and Work Experience:
- High School diploma or GED equivalent
- A minimum five to eight years building maintenance experience required.
- Valid driver’s license with acceptable driving record.
- Must have the ability to comprehend, analyze and interpret business documents and respond effectively to complex or sensitive issues including the ability to write reports and communicate in meetings.
- Technical, vocational or on the job training and proven proficiencies in the following, HVAC, electrical, environmental systems, plumbing, mechanical, and basic carpentry, be able to read schematics and technical drawings.
- Ability to keep track of details and understand the importance of following schedules.
- OSHA 10 hour – General Industry Safety Training is preferred.
- US citizenship and must hold or have ability to obtain security clearance is required.
Knowledge And Skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (MS Outlook, MS Word, MS Excel)
- Problem solving and analytical skills.
- Dependable and good time management skills.
- Ability to work with all levels of employees, clients, and vendors.
- Flexibility in work schedule – available for travel for 2-week periods several times per year.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize tasks
Physical Demands And Work Environment
Requires ordinary ambulatory skills sufficient to visit multiple locations. Physical requirements include stooping, standing, walking, climbing stairs and ladders and ability to lift and/or carry or manipulate light loads. Work is performed both indoors and outdoors.
Our Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Onyx Group practices as an equal opportunity employer in all office locations. We are committed to building and maintaining a multidisciplinary team diverse in experience, skills and knowledge with uniformity in service excellence, commitment and integrity. The firm maintains a strict policy to ensure employment opportunities are equal and do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, creed, age, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, disability, marital and civil partnership/union status, protected veteran or military service status, or any other elements protected by law.
BE who you are and what you want to be with The Onyx Group. We’d love to meet you. Apply today to join our team.
Onyx rewards hard work with a comprehensive compensation program including competitive wages and a robust benefits package, 401(k), paid time off and more! Eligibility for our benefits is on the date of hire.
If You Meet The Qualifications And Are Interested In This Opportunity, Please Submit Your Resume And Cover Letter Stating Salary Expectations Via Career Builder, Or Submit Via Email or Regular Mail
The Onyx Group – Human Resources
1199 N Fairfax St, Suite 100
Alexandria, Virginia 22314
We would like to thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please, no calls from recruiters. The Onyx Group subscribes to the spirit and laws regarding Equal Employment Opportunity. Additionally, The Onyx Group operates in accordance with a Drug Free Workplace and conducts drug and alcohol tests.